This week is Adoption Awareness Week. It has been all over the TV new programs and news websites. Its great it is advertised as its a subject that usually goes under the radar and most people think its as easy as picking a baby/child from a brochure, sending your cheque and you will receive your child in the mail - sorry to inform you but its the complete opposite.
Look I'm not going to pretend I know all the ins and outs of Australia's adoption program but what I do know is its nearly impossible for most couples to adopt. When in the thick of our IVF cycle Aaron and I discussed adoption in great lengths and it was on the table for us if IVF was unsuccessful. So I decided to start researching. Its not until you look into it you realise there is approx yrs of waiting to just get on the 'waiting list' then many more years until you may get a placement. Oh by the way that paperwork, conditions and loops you must jump through is mind blowing... dont get me wrong children should only be in loving homes but to make it this hard is depressing.
I think one of the best articles was from Womens Day with Deborra-Lee Furness (Hugh Jackmans wife) and here is a small bit of it. Ms Furness is heading a campaign to eliminate the bureaucratic obstacles to adoption of overseas children whom she describes as “orphaned, abandoned''.The worst part is Deborra organised a huge launch for NAAW trying to attract many politicians and not 1 attended or addressed the matter.
She posed the basic question: “There are millions of orphans and abandoned and vulnerable children in the world, and so many families that want to take care of these kids. Why is it so hard to adopt in Australia?'' Very good question I say. It goes into more detail here but I would be rambling on for ever.
I hope with more people aware of the struggles of adoption in Australia something can be done to assist the children in need as well as the families wanting to care for these little ones.
Awesome post, Ards...
ReplyDelete