Friday, September 2, 2011

NT scan

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, nothing has really been happening this end. Yesterday I went for my NT scan + last FS appt.
As you can see from the above scan, all is alive and well. all measurements were looking good, inline with my dates which is a great sign. However once you add the blood test to the outcome you can see its not so fantastic - below are results:

Trisomy 21 (down's syndrome) - 1:645 (based on my age only result should be 1:921)
Trisomy 18 - 1:115 (based on my age only result should be 1:2119) HIGH RISK
Trisomy 13 - 1:517 (based on my age only result should be 1:6681)
PAPP-A - 0.100IU/I equivalent to 0.215 MOM (low reading)

As you can my low reading of PAPP-A is causing my results to be higher risk and it is recommended I get extra growth scans every few weeks and possibly an amnio test.

Amniocentesis (also referred to as amniotic fluid test or AFT), is a medical procedure used in prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities and fetal infections, in which a small amount of amniotic fluid, which contains fetal tissues, is extracted from the amnion or amniotic sac surrounding a developing fetus, and the fetal DNA is examined for genetic abnormalities.

If this was a risk free test I would do it without thinking, however the risk of miscarriage is 1:200. Do we want this additional risk? the next ultrasound is in a few weeks where I must decide if we want the amnio test....so a while to think.

So all up the NT scan went ok but it is a worry the higher risk. Also the low PAPP-A comes with its own risks (early birth, small in size, placenta issues etc.) but to be honest I dont have the heart to list them all here :( I promise when I have more time and energy I will pop in and detail it more. I hope over the next few scans we get more answers.

waving hello


No comments:

Post a Comment