At my clinic they get you to come in on cycle day 21 of your cycle before IVF starts - this is just to sign all the paperwork and get ready for the IVF ahead. Today was day 21 so off we went for our appointment.
First thing was an internal ultrasound, this was to make sure I had ovulated and to make sure my lining was correct thickness (suitable for implantation). Then an internal swab to double check there are no 'issues' which have popped up since the all over assessment cycle.
Our fertility doctor made sure we were happy to proceed with his recommendation of IVF/ICSI and to see if we had any medical questions. I previously mentioned I have a certain antibody problem (dont ask the name because it includes all the letters of the alphabet) this was picked up at my assessment/tracking cycle. This problem (if left untreated) may effect implantation - you may hear people refer to it as 'natural killer cells'. What this means is my body thinks that the embryo thats implanting is a 'bad germ' and tries to fight it off - therefore causing the embryo not to stick and AF arrive. To improve/bypass this issue I will be given the drug Prednisolone which I take until approx week 7 (if pregnant).
After discussing these points with our FS we went through the basics of our upcoming IVF cycle. Below is a small summary of my approx dates:
CD 2 - Blood test and see the nurses regarding my fertility drugs. This is where I learn to use all the needles etc. From day 2 right through my cycle I will be taking the Prednisolone drug (to help with my antibodies) and this is in pill form.
CD 3-6 - Puregon injections daily.
CD 7 - 10 - Puregon injections, blood test and ultrasound daily. this checks the follicle development.
CD 13 - Trigger Pregnyl injection (35 hours before EPU)
CD14/15 - Egg pick up (EPU) and sperm sample provided.
CD 18/20 - Embryo transfer preformed.
CD20 - 29 - injection and blood test every three days after transfer - this is to help support implantation.
CD29/28 - Blood test to check if cycle was successful.
OK so now we have information overload right? Thank god they give you it in a booklet form to take home or I would never remember. So from now I just wait approx a week till this cycle finishes and AF arrives, as soon as it does I call my clinic and get the ball rolling. So all the paperwork is signed - we are on like donkey kong! No turning back.
I'm going to be honest I have mixed feeling about it all. I am very nervous, scared, excited, impatient ... but most of all overwhelmed but completely ready for this journey (well as ready as you can be). Like I said before, I am trying to be 100% positive and when I'm not feeling it I know where to turn - Aaron is fantastic about it all and I must say some very dear online friends have helped keep me afloat...and I know they are only an email away.
I'm not a religious person but I pray to god Aaron and I finally have the success we have been looking for.
No comments:
Post a Comment